In my position as National Director of CBIZ Wellness Solutions, I work with companies to customize and implement wellness strategies, intervention programs, employee engagement, and incentive plans.
Obviously, an employer can’t control what an employee does outside of the workplace, but simple steps can be taken to promote a healthier lifestyle while at the workplace and encourage employees to make lifestyle improvements outside of work. Consider the ideas below:
- Create a culture of health on the job
- Promote a tobacco-free environment
- Provide discounted health club memberships or fitness equipment on site
- Establish physical activity programs during breaks, lunch, or before/after work hours
- Start group/peer activities involving social networking for eating right and exercise
- Install healthier vending machines, food during meetings or cafeteria options
- Implement incentive and engagement programs to live healthier
Look out for upcoming posts on the importance of wellness in the workplace and how it can benefit employers and their employees.